Middlesex Centre Council Recap: Jan 2018 – April 2018

Standard

Hello there! First, let me please apologize for not posting these updates as often as I wanted to. To be frank, not a whole lot happened during the last half of 2017 except for a few key issues:

  • The OMB hearing over the Tridon/Don Black lands (formerly the Gabriel farm on Glendon Dr) was dealt with, and decisions were issued. Site works are now under way.
  • The OMB hearing over the South Winds lands was dealt with, and site works are now under way.
  • The 2018 budget was passed with only a slight increase in the tax rate. As previously mentioned, water and wastewater rates held steady. The aforementioned developments will help us keep those rates under control.

During the first four months of the year, Council made a few significant decisions, including:

January 2018

  • We reviewed and voted to receive the annual drinking water and wastewater reports for 2017. Overall 2017 was a very positive year with only a few minor issues that were swiftly addressed. Our water and wastewater operations teams are doing really good work ensuring we have safe, potable water and a wastewater system that does its job.
  • The final budget report for 2017 was received, and overall the financials of Middlesex Centre are in very good shape. The only large amount of debt we took on for this year was funding for development charges, since there is a lag between when the money is spent and when it’s collected. However, development charges paid also cover the interest on the debt, so taxpayers are not out any money on this debt.
  • We awarded the contract to expand the Ilderton wastewater treatment facility, allowing for the development of the Sifton Clear Skies property on the northeast corner of Hyde Park Rd and Ilderton Rd. This is fully funded by development charges, and therefore existing residents/taxpayers are not on the hook for the $5,380,040.00 contract.

February 2018

  • We issued grants to the following organizations using the Council Grants program:
    • London and Middlesex Heritage Museum – Fanshawe Pioneer Village – $5,000.00
    • Tri-County Heritage Club – $1,500.00
    • Middlesex Centre Archives – $5,000.00
    • Komoka Railway Museum – $1,500.00
    • Del-Ko-Brydge Canada Day – $1,000.00
    • Poplar Hill Picnic – $1,200.00
    • Optimist Club of Bryanston-Birr – $1,500.00
  • We appointed a new clerk! Her name is Ann Wright, and she’s been doing a great job so far.
  • My notice of motion to include a live streaming solution as part of the new municipal agenda meeting management software was approved! I’m very optimistic that a decent, affordable solution will be presented to Council later this year for approval.

March 2018

  • We received a report on the changes made to the appeals process for planning decisions, which has scrapped the Ontario Municipal Board in favour of the new Local Planning Appeal Tribunal.
    • Though much of the same staff will remain in place, the new appeals process puts far more control back into the hands of muncipalities, and now it is up to an appellant to prove that a municipality did not following its established planning procedures, and the Planning Act. This is good for everyone except for developers who feel like they’re not getting their way.
  • We wrote to the Province to support SARI’s property tax exemption over new property they recently acquired. It’s a great program that does very important work for children with disabilities.
  • We voted to approve moving the Council meeting start time from 4pm to 6pm. We are hopeful that this will allow a great portion of the public to attend Council meetings, and will encourage more people to run for office this year.
  • We were finally able to approve the purchase of two electric vehicles for our Green Fleet – one Chevrolet Volt, and one Chevrolet Bolt. Both vehicles are already in use and lowering our gasoline costs, while also reducing our greenhouse gas emissions overall.

April 2018

  • Council approved a parking arrangement for some businesses in Arva to help relieve the pressure on Medway Rd. We will continue to face some parking pressures as Medway High School’s sports field undergoes renovations over the next few months, but at least some area businesses have a bit of parking set aside for them now.
  • Council approved our first engagement with Middlesex ALUS to allow the organization, on their own dime, to re-naturalize a portion of the lands on the Delaware Enviro Depot property once we have performed some drainage work.
  • Council directed staff to proceed with a Pedestrian Crossover Program, formalizing the adoption of several different types of crossovers/crosswalks for different types of roads and traffic counts. In Ward 4, you can expect to see crosswalks installed at Jefferies Rd & Stephen Moore Dr in Kilworth, at Komoka Rd & Hamilton St in Komoka, and at Queen St & Fieldstone Gate in Komoka over the next few years. This should improve safety for our children, and really all citizens that walk in those areas.
  • We removed the holding zone provision for Clear Skies in Ilderton, allowing that development to move forward.

And those are the highlights for the first four months of this year! The municipal election nomination period began yesterday, and I’m looking forward to seeing who throws their name into the hat. The next few months, and years, are going to be really excited all around Middlesex Centre, and especially Komoka and Kilworth.

Upcoming Public Meetings on January 25, 2017

Standard

Municipal staff recently notified me that there are several public meetings coming up during the January 25, 2017 Council Meeting. These usually start at 7pm, so you don’t need to attend the whole meeting.

If you review these and want to ask me any questions, please feel free to do so via Twitter, Facebook, email, or phone.

If you have any feedback at all, let me know!

Kilworth PPM Re: Revised Zoning for New Subdivision

Standard

I attended last week’s public meeting regarding a revised re-zoning request being put forth for the Don Black lands. If you missed the first go around back in December 2013, just click here to see what happened then.

This most recent zoning application was a very, very different story from the first. On a side note, I was pleased to see some new faces amongst the crowd in attendance: some people I know but haven’t seen at a meeting before, some people that have recently moved to Kilworth, and others who have chosen to engage at this point.

For reference, here’s the public information packet. I’m hosting it myself since I don’t know how long the municipality will leave it up on their website. This was the information distributed to council and the public prior to the meeting – council only received it on May 22, just five days before the public meeting.

dbi-tridon-may272015-zoning-amendmentI was a few minutes late for the presentation from Tridon (who has replaced Stantec on the project). Here’s what I got from the presentation:

  • Asking for duplex, twinned, single detached, townhouses in the UR3 areas
  • Minimum 28m height is a typo, should read “maximum”
  • Claim that there will be three multi-use pathways – Daventry, Doan Drive, and the main north/south drag that will connect the South Winds Dev and Don Black dev, up to Glendon
  • Took inspiration from new 3-story walkup near Masonville for Block I
  • Talking about the school like it’s definitely going to be there; not a done deal, despite school board (which one?) expressing interest
  • Municipal staff asking to enhance Optimist Park; DBI/Tridon ready to place one or two soccer fields at Optimist Park; have retained park planner to help sort out the plan
  • Need to widen Glendon at two points, where new north/south street comes out and at Springfield Way

Questions I wrote down during the presentation (answers later):

  • Why is there such a massive difference between the proposal from December 2013 and this latest proposal?
  • It’s been almost 18 months since the original proposal came through. Why are we still at a phase where, really, there is no detail as to exactly what Don Black Investments and Tridon want to put on the land?
  • Who will pay for the streetlights on Glendon, and the eventual enhancement of Glendon/Vanneck/Coldstream/Jefferies (a.k.a. Five Corners)?

Questions and Answers:

  • Got clarification on what setback means, and they want to reduce it from 6m to 2.5m
  • Ken D. asked whether the traffic study had included cyclists or not; it didn’t
  • I followed up and asked why it hadn’t, and the answer was that the original study was very old and Tridon has never seen a traffic study that included cyclists
  • Al D is concerned about traffic, another 120 cars in the current development area; probably looking at ~1,000 cars mostly heading to London
  • Brian Lima, municipal engineer, municipality is looking at EA for Glendon Dr from bridge to 402, focus will be streetscape development; EA will produce baseline info to evaluate how to handle Glendon Dr
  • Mayor Edmondson says the want to get EA done before development starts
  • Al D asked when construction will start; Tridon went over the process, wastewater treatment pipeline still needs to be finished; hoping to have first housing done late 2016 or early 2017
  • Brian Lima says earliest EA will be complete is early 2017
  • Jane C, lives on Komoka Rd; does not support bylaw amendment application; OFA is calling for protection of multiple kinds of land, including this farm property; has a history with Tridon and protesting the way they do development in Komoka and her aunt’s land; much applause
  • Darren on behalf of Ratepayers Association; “I’m for development, but not this development. This development completely changes the face of Kilworth.” Lots of consistency now from river up to Stephen Moore and Baron Cres; and then there’s this proposal; pointing out how other developments by the same company are 40′ wide, 36′ wide, and 34′ wide; this is not for Kilworth
  • Ian T; how many more people is this going to bring? Average of 2.1 per household, but no one at Tridon wanted to do the math for us and give us a total number, potentially because the number of households to be built is still up in the air(?)
  • Zelinka Priamo representative (didn’t catch her name) has a problem with additional C1 (commercial) proposed as a big C1 hub is supposed to go on NE corner of Tunks and Glendon
  • New planning justification not submitted because DBI feels this is the same development with minor tweaks; this woman has been working on planning applications for 30 years and has never seen an application with such a huge lack of information
  • Jim C asks “Can I split an existing lot into a triplex?” Mayor says, “I don’t think you’d want that.” Jim responds “Exactly,” to a bit of laughter.
  • Victor N just moved here from Tecumseh, daughter suggested it as a beautiful area; retired from Canada Post management; seniors centre will likely be 3 or 4 floors, and many of those seniors won’t be able to get their mail; this plan will turn Kilworth into an area that’s no longer nice; no shopping, no buses; doesn’t make sense
  • Donna S is concerned that this doesn’t suit the existing neighbourhood; mentioned the 3 storey walkup in Masonville – it’s ugly, doesn’t belong here; very worried about traffic
  • How many cars is anticipated to exit onto Glendon Dr? 995 during AM peak time.
  • Parking and visitor parking would be put in place as per the bylaw(s) that require them

Answers to my questions:

  • The design is drastically different because the municipality asked us to go from two entrances to Glendon, down to one
  • Don’t have any idea what we want to market on C1 and some UR3 properties because we don’t have the zoning yet
  • Chances are that the conditions laid out by the County will say that the developer must pay for the new streetlights and enhancements to “Five Corners”

Later on I got a chance to read a statement I had prepared. It ended up being the final word of the night, though I didn’t intend it to be so. I was asked to cede the floor to others earlier in the night after asking my questions I had written down. The statement went, more or less, as follows:

I have some serious misgivings about the revised proposal being presented here today. Here are a few:

  1. This looks *nothing* like the original proposal presented December 4, 2013.
  2. I will say, on a positive note, that Daventry Way has been opened up. I appreciate that being taken into consideration after the last public participation meeting.
  3. On the other hand, the original proposal maintained a lot of flow with the existing settlement, and proposed wide path ways that would encourage active transport around the neighbourhood. In the documents we see today, those have been completely done away with.
  4. It appears that a 6 storey building is proposed for Block G. I fully understand the need for mixed housing, however a 6 storey building simply doesn’t make any sense outside of a larger community like Strathroy. People living in apartment buildings typically expect highly walkable areas, which, much as I enjoy living in this area, Kilworth and Komoka do not qualify as highly walkable areas, with Kilworth currently receiving a Walk Score of 9.
  5. The proposal doesn’t appear to contain anything that would significantly alter the Walk Score.
  6. Information about proposed heights for several blocks are missing from the proposal.
  7. The street design, frankly, is pathetic and will make the proposed settlement a nightmare to navigate. It doesn’t use the current set of best practices being used in the most walkable neighbourhoods worldwide.

Overall, this proposal simply contains far too much density for the area. I was mostly in favour of the original, but this has taken a drastic turn for the worse. I was happy to defend the original proposal, despite its minor flaws, but I cannot, in good conscience, ask Councillor DeViet to vote in favour of this proposal as it stands before us today.

That got a round of applause, as did many other statements made and questions asked by members of the public throughout the night. Mayor Edmondson had a hard time maintaining order at several points as people got fed up with the answers – and in some cases non-answers provided by Tridon. Needless to say it didn’t go well for Tridon and Don Black, and we hope the next version of the zoning application is very different. Whether the planner, Ben Puzanov, mandates another public meeting for the next iteration remains to be seen.

Letter to the Planning & Environment Committee

Standard

I took some time to write to the Mayor and members of the Planning & Environment Committee today. Why? Because the PenEquity proposal is… well… not great the way it stands. It’s massive, practically in the middle of nowhere, and threatens to eliminate thousands of strong, mature trees that do us a lot of good, no doubt. Unfortunately I forgot to mention downtown in my list of concerns, but hopefully others will/have (and the committee members will have it top of mind as soon as the effects on other areas are pointed out).

We’ll see what happens this afternoon! Until then, here’s what I sent to the Planning & Environment Committee (Bud Polhill, Joe Fontana, Phil Hubert, Sandy White, Dale Henderson, and Nancy Branscombe). If you like it, feel free to copy & paste and send it to them again. Citizen Corps has a list of councillors and their email addresses.

Good afternoon Mayor Fontana and Councillors,

I am writing to express my concern over the proposed retail and hospitality development on Dingman Drive that will be reviewed by the Planning & Environment Committee today. I have a number of concerns, including but not limited to:

  1. The negative impact it is likely to have on existing retail and hospitality developments further north on Wellington Rd, Westmount Mall on Wonderland Rd S, and the proposed Southwest Area Plan (SWAP) for Wonderland Rd S.
  2. The environmental impact it will certainly have on the rather large (4.2 hectares) woodlot currently on the land. Based on average statistics, this represents roughly 4,200 mature trees that the proposed development would eliminate. I consider that to be too large a number to lose, and the positive environmental impact that woodlot has on our air quality, preventing erosion, and the pleasant view it provides while driving down the 401 consider it a “must keep” for me.
  3. In addition to that, here is a link to the Criteria for Identification of Significant Woodlots (PDF, page 2). I think you’ll find, especially if you consult employees in the planning department, that the woodlot meets at least one of those criteria. I would hope you’ll take that into consideration moving forward and as leaders of the Forest City. [UPDATE: Link to report provided to committee by City staff on environmental significance of this woodlot]
  4. Also, there is a large body of water on that property. I must admit I’m not certain what purpose it serves, but I cannot remember a time when it wasn’t there. Has the purpose and future of this body of water been addressed by PenEquity or the planning department? As it stands it appears as though the development would eliminate this potentially important body of water.
  5. That is a huge parking lot. There is really no other way to put it. If this moves forward, is it within the City’s power to request that a parking garage be constructed instead? It would use less space, allow for the protection of a significant portion of the woodlot as is, and only increase PenEquity’s costs slightly when compared to the amount of expense they’re looking at currently. If White Oaks Mall can do it, surely PenEquity can as well.
  6. Lastly, correct me if I’m wrong, but the average hotel tenancy rate hovers around the 60% mark last I heard. This sounds rather decent, and hopefully is enough to maintain a profit for all of the hotel and motel operators in the area. As such, is another hotel (or two) really necessary at this point? I’m all for a free market, but given the gravity of this decision and the impact it could have, have existing hotel operators been approached by the committee and/or plannign department (or approached the same) regarding this development? I’d be interested to hear whether they’re prepared for additional competition given the fairly new hotels that went up only a short time ago near Exeter Road.

Thank you for your time, and I’ll be paying close attention to the PEC meeting today. I also look forward to any responses should you find the time.

Derek E. Silva

UPDATE June 25, 2013: I received a response from Sandy White’s office thanking me for sharing my thoughts on this matter.