Well… the past few weeks have really gotten London, and its citizens, reeling. Amongst the day-to-day stuff that happens – snarling traffic, complaints about students, store/factory closures – we also have some heartening news like progress on an HIV vaccine, and the ability to communicate with some people who are in a vegetative state. Can London turn itself around? Can we focus less on Mayor Fontana’s criminal charges and mounting legal battles, and instead focus on what the Forest City does well?
I know… in this recent era, you may be asking yourself… what on Earth does London have going for it? Plenty, actually! And I’ve come up with a brief list if things that either London is tops in, or near the top.
- Two of the best post-secondary schools in Ontario
- One of the best universities in Canada
- Progressive HIV vaccine research
- Breakthrough research in communicating with people in a vegetative state
- John Labatt Center/Budweiser Gardens is one of the best venues in the world
- Ontario has the best education system in the English-speaking world
- One of the best teams in the CHL
- The best team in NBL Canada
- A grassroots political community that’s the envy of others
Let’s face it… we need to focus more on what we do well, and continue to push other institutions to do more. Let’s strive for better, take risks, continue to invest money where it makes the most sense, and prepare ourselves for the future. We cannot foresee all that will happen, especially with JoFo at the helm, but we can make the decisions necessary to ensure London survives, and thrives, even in the face of adversity at the top.
What else is London tops (or near the top) in?